We have updated our Terms of Service, Code of Conduct, and Addendum.

Migrate from Cribl Stream to Worker Node and put Leader in the Cloud

I'm new to Cribl, so at this point we have single-instance Cribl Stream installed on premise. We just got a new SE, and he stated I need to move the Leader Node to the cloud as it's easier for him to troubleshoot. I have a cloud account created.

I presume this is the distributed deployment, but the menus described in the documentation don't seem to align with what I see in the UI.

https://docs.cribl.io/stream/deploy-distributed/

I'm not confident I have the correct software. Can Stream be converted into a worker node? Do I need the distributed deployment? Can anyone point me to a video that describes the process? I've looked on YouTube, but I've not had any luck.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Michael Donnelly
    Michael Donnelly Posts: 7
    Answer ✓

"Can [my self-managed single-instance] Stream be converted into a worker node?" - yes, but the easiest approach when moving from on-prem to cloud is:

1) Create the Cribl Cloud organization; this automatically creates a Cribl Cloud leader and worker group

2) Move your configuration(s) from on-premise to Cribl Cloud. (See below **)

3) Reinstall your self-managed worker as a Hybrid Stream worker managed by the Cribl Cloud leader.

** Today (circa Cribl 4.8.x), there's no method to move your on-prem Stream configuration to a leader in Cribl Cloud. In part, this is because the method of creating sources and destinations often differs.

If your Cribl Stream instance has had only minor configurations so far, perhaps a few sources and destinations, a pack or two, or a handful of pipelines … you may wish to simply perform the same work in your new Cribl Cloud leader. Keep in mind that you can also copy/paste the entire contents of any one pipeline, to move it from one environment to another.

For a well-developed or heavily customized Cribl Stream environment, Cribl offers professional services to move your entire configuration from on-prem to Cribl Cloud.

Answers

• Michael Donnelly
    Michael Donnelly Posts: 7
    Answer ✓

"Can [my self-managed single-instance] Stream be converted into a worker node?" - yes, but the easiest approach when moving from on-prem to cloud is:

1) Create the Cribl Cloud organization; this automatically creates a Cribl Cloud leader and worker group

2) Move your configuration(s) from on-premise to Cribl Cloud. (See below **)

3) Reinstall your self-managed worker as a Hybrid Stream worker managed by the Cribl Cloud leader.

** Today (circa Cribl 4.8.x), there's no method to move your on-prem Stream configuration to a leader in Cribl Cloud. In part, this is because the method of creating sources and destinations often differs.

If your Cribl Stream instance has had only minor configurations so far, perhaps a few sources and destinations, a pack or two, or a handful of pipelines … you may wish to simply perform the same work in your new Cribl Cloud leader. Keep in mind that you can also copy/paste the entire contents of any one pipeline, to move it from one environment to another.

For a well-developed or heavily customized Cribl Stream environment, Cribl offers professional services to move your entire configuration from on-prem to Cribl Cloud.

• Thanks, Michael. That's exactly what I was needing. FYI, there is little configuration at this point.