What value would Stream provide to someone who has logstash for routing/transforming?
So, this question has been bothering me for quite some time now. While I am a big fan of Cribl and I really enjoy working with their products and showing/explaining them to others I still wonder every now and then what value Stream would provide to a customer, who already has a well-maintained and functioning logstash for routing/transforming data.
If I think about it the following points come to my mind, but if someone here has more/different reasons I would be glad to hear them!
- Stream's replay function
- Logstash works as a single instance, Cribl can be clustered to infinity
- Stream is easier to maintain
- No grepping around in config files for that one transformation command you need to change
- Pipelines are easier to understand/maintain than logstash files
- Less complex to get started with for new users/admins
- Visualization of data flows
- Being able to look into arriving/leaving data from within the tool without having to restart anything or using tcpdump is incredibly helpful
- (My favourite point) Speed of Development
- Capturing real log data and storing it for future use to replay over and over again to improve a pipeline was such a game changer to me.
- Being able to see the changes you make to data through pipelines in real-time, without having to restart agents