We have updated our Terms of Service, Code of Conduct, and Addendum.

Locked out of Stream, how do I reset my password?

Hi,
I recently installed Cribl and today when I tried to log back in I couldn't, I'm locked out! I have CLI access so I was hoping there was a way to reset my password through the CLI?
Thank you!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Ahoura Mortazavi
    Ahoura Mortazavi Posts: 3
    Answer ✓

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for reaching out! You can follow these steps in order to reset your password. You do need to access the leader via the CLI for this to work:

• Navigate to $CRIBL_HOME > local > auth > users.json
    • To manually add, change, or restore a password, replace the affected user's passwd key-value pair with a password key, in this format: "password":"<newPlaintext>". Cribl Stream will hash all plaintext password(s), identified by the password key, during the next file reload, and will rename the plaintext password key.
    • When looking at your current users.json file, you should see something like:
      • {"username":"user","first":"Goat","last":"McGoat","disabled":"false", "passwd":"Yrt0MOD1w8OzyMYB8WMcEleOtYESMwZw2qIZyTvueOE"}
    • you'd need to modify the final key-value pair to something like:
      • {"username":"user","first":"Goat","last":"McGoat","disabled":"false", "password":"Str0ngPassword!"}
    • Within about a minute after you save the file, Cribl Stream will rename the password key back to passwd, and will hash its value, re-creating something resembling the original example.

Keep in mind this only works for on-prem deployment and with cloud deployments, you would need to reach out to Cribl support at support@cribl.io

For more info you can also refer to our docs.

Answers

• Ahoura Mortazavi
    Ahoura Mortazavi Posts: 3
    Answer ✓

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for reaching out! You can follow these steps in order to reset your password. You do need to access the leader via the CLI for this to work:

• Navigate to $CRIBL_HOME > local > auth > users.json
    • To manually add, change, or restore a password, replace the affected user's passwd key-value pair with a password key, in this format: "password":"<newPlaintext>". Cribl Stream will hash all plaintext password(s), identified by the password key, during the next file reload, and will rename the plaintext password key.
    • When looking at your current users.json file, you should see something like:
      • {"username":"user","first":"Goat","last":"McGoat","disabled":"false", "passwd":"Yrt0MOD1w8OzyMYB8WMcEleOtYESMwZw2qIZyTvueOE"}
    • you'd need to modify the final key-value pair to something like:
      • {"username":"user","first":"Goat","last":"McGoat","disabled":"false", "password":"Str0ngPassword!"}
    • Within about a minute after you save the file, Cribl Stream will rename the password key back to passwd, and will hash its value, re-creating something resembling the original example.

Keep in mind this only works for on-prem deployment and with cloud deployments, you would need to reach out to Cribl support at support@cribl.io

For more info you can also refer to our docs.