We have updated our Terms of Service, Code of Conduct, and Addendum.

For wildcards to reference existing field names in an eval, how do you reference those field names?

Options

quick question (I think) - if you need wildcards to reference existing field names in an eval, how do you reference those field names in your eval? e.g. do an eval operation against fieldA, fieldB, and fieldC using a single operation? could be any fieldX

Answers

• Ahmed Kira
    Ahmed Kira Posts: 33 mod
    Options

sounds like you are trying to extract all key value pairs in a field? Perhaps entire event _raw? If so, consider a parser function and specify the relevant type (kv, regex, etc). Another option is a regex extract function. See the tooltip screenshot when using this method for the format to follow and enable 'global'

• xpac xpac
    xpac xpac Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Options

I understood they'd want to run a certain EVAL function on multiple fields (that match a wildcard pattern). As far as I know EVAL doesn't support that. I guess the Splunk equivalent would be the `| foreach` function. You might be able to build something yourself with the Code function though...

• Ahmed Kira
    Ahmed Kira Posts: 33 mod
    Options

Code would be the alternative for sure. Depending on what the beginning and ending needs to look like, might be achievable through a combination of other functions (parser, regex extract, rename.) Rename supports bulk field name renaming