We have updated our Terms of Service, Code of Conduct, and Addendum.

trying to change the format of Timestamp within _Raw using Mask function

Options
Tony Reinke - Cribl
Tony Reinke - Cribl Posts: 134 admin
edited October 2023 in General Discussions

Hello , I am trying to change the format of Timestamp within _Raw using Mask function, Can you help to convert 2023-05-24T12:34:37.490Z into 05-24-2023 12:34:37 format. I do not want to create a sperate field for the converted time instead I want to see the changes with _Raw.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tony Reinke - Cribl
    edited October 2023
    Options

Current output

I tried this function to convert the string time to date format and then eventually converted it to String format but it does not replace the desired time string in the raw log. Could anyone please help?

Sample Date String in log which needs to be replaced with different format:
    2023-05-24T12:34:37.490Z

Regex:
    (\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}T\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}.\d{3}Z)

Replace Expression:
    C.Time.strftime(C.time.strptime(g1, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%LZ", false, false), "%m-%d-%Y %H:%M", false)

• xpac xpac
    xpac xpac Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

cries over converting a perfectly fine timestamp into a terrible format

Are you aware you're losing the timezone information?

Also, create one capture group per "piece of information" in your Regex, e.g. put parentheses around the year, month, day etc seperately. Then you can just use those numbered groups in your replacement string

No need to do actual timestamp parsing and formatting

• xpac xpac
    xpac xpac Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

you don't need strptime/strftime at all for what you want to do

https://regex101.com/r/Z33GIv/1

that's all it takes

• Tony Reinke - Cribl
    edited October 2023
    Options

Yes, I got the solution by creating separate groups. Thanks a lot for the same.:) However, if the date needs to be converted from 2023-05-24T12:34:37.490Z to Sep 10 04:39:58 then functions will be needed, right? can you please suggest how should I proceed in this case?

Got the solution thanks for your assistance. Appreciated:slightly_smiling_face:.

final replace expression:
    C.Time.strftime(C.Time.strptime(g1, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%LZ"), "%b %d %H:%M:%S")