We have updated our Terms of Service, Code of Conduct, and Addendum.

if I'm looking to forward the cribl metrics into splunk, is it similar to log data?

Options

I haven't done a ton with Splunk metric indexes in the past, if I'm looking to forward the cribl metrics into splunk, is it similar to log data, where I add an index field via a pipeline to route correctly so I can route the data into Splunk via HEC?

Answers

• Jon Rust
    Jon Rust Posts: 439 mod
    Options

yep. you could also depend on Splunk-side configs to override/provide a default index

• etc_cribl
    etc_cribl Posts: 14 mod
    Options

true, I didn't think of that as I just use a single HEC token at the moment for all my my Cribl needs

• etc_cribl
    Options

thanks!

• Paul Dott
    Paul Dott Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Options

Curious, any advantages, of sending to the hec versus directly to the indexers?

• Paul Dott
    Options

For metrics especially.

• Jon Rust
    Options

as in, you have a separate HF tier for HEC?

• Jon Rust
    Options

or you mean HEC on the indexers vs S2S on the indexers?

• etc_cribl
    Options

Not that it matters, but I'm a Splunk cloud customer, and I just generally send everything in via HEC

• Jon Rust
    Options

I prefer: sources ---> Cribl ---hec---> indexers

• Jon Rust
    Options

not a fan of: sources ---> Cribl ---hec---> HF ---S2S--> indexers

• etc_cribl
    Options

I don't have a Splunk HF tier at the moment, so I sort of view Cribl as my HF tier

• Jon Rust
    Options

:chef_fingers_kiss:

• Paul Dott
    Options

Ah :cloud: gotcha. We do have a HEC HF tier. But for sources that don't need any TA's/additional data wrangling after Cribl, then it seems redundant to pass them through the HEC's, right? So for the internal metrics and log sources specifically: Source (internal metrics) --> Cribl (obvs) --> Splunk Indexer LB

• Jon Rust
    Options

you can do it that way. I prefer delivery to HEC on indexers (not HFs). I like HEC delivery over S2S