We have updated our Terms of Service, Code of Conduct, and Addendum.

Looking for pointers on putting Cribl between Splunk UF and Indexer with TLS Encryption

Options

hello All, As a cribl beginner, I am looking for resources/guide to achieve below --- I am trying to place Cribl between splunk UF and indexer with TLS encryption enabled. Any pointers/lead/direction will be highly appreciated. more details in thread below...

Answers

• saurabh.gupta
    Options

I am not currently facing any issue or error, rather i am trying to understand/preparing to deliver -- with what will be provided -- outputs.conf on UF and inputs.conf on the indexer

• xpac xpac
    xpac xpac Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Options

Do you wanna do mTLS or just TLS on the receiving side?

• saurabh.gupta
    Options

on the windows UF side, i must use `sslVerifyServerCert = true` in outputs.conf -- so i suppose mutual TLS is needed for this, right

• xpac xpac
    Options

Mutual means that the client (sending side) also needs to present a valid cert

• xpac xpac
    Options

In Splunk that's requireClientCert

• saurabh.gupta
    Options

yes. I would need to use below in my splunk UF outputs.conf -- ```clientCert = <path> sslVerifyServerCert = true indexerDiscovery = somethingABCDEFGH useACK = true``` I will keep indexerDiscovery out of the scope of our discussion for now and focus more on `clientCert` and `sslVerifyServerCert` as a must to place on the windows UF -- while i am reproducing scenario in my lab.

• xpac xpac
    Options

Yeah, the question is if proper client cert authentication is part of your requirements.

• saurabh.gupta
    Options

yes. it is

• xpac xpac
    Options

Okay. So you already have that config for the UF. You might have to add the root CA cert that the Cribl receiving side cert has been issued by

• xpac xpac
    Options

In Cribl, you enable TLS on the input, enable client cert validation, give Cribl the root CA of the UF client cert.

• xpac xpac
    Options

On Cribl output, configure a valid client cert, on the IDX side configure inputs.conf for splunktcp-ssl, give it a root CA that issued the Cribl client cert

• xpac xpac
    Options

Well, whatever cert you got for that box Cribl runs on