We have updated our Terms of Service, Code of Conduct, and Addendum.

Cannot get AWS S3 data destination to work on Stream - self-hosted

Options
Cribler
Cribler Posts: 4

I can't get any of the data destinations to work. I have tried this with ElasticSearch, AWS S3 and Splunk. The message I get when I try a Test payload is "Error: 400-Bad Request Output … does not exist!"

The logs don't have any information either.

I'm running stream in a docker container. I got the same results on Cribl cloud instance as well.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremiah Ross
    Jeremiah Ross Posts: 8
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Cribler Great callout.

The Error: "400-Bad Request Output … does not exist!" means exactly that, the output isn't configured on the worker yet.

This usually occurs because

a) The config hasn't been deployed to workers

b) The worker hasn't updated yet

c) an error preventing a configuration push (e.g. a network or firewall issue)

If you are not sure if the worker has updated yet, I'd suggest using teleportation and checking a destination live from the worker's UI.

To teleport into a worker:

1. Ensure that the group has "UI Access" enabled from the Manage > Groups page

2. Navigate to the Manager > Workers page and then click on the worker's GUID

3. Navigate to the worker's desination page

More information on teleportation may be found here: https://docs.cribl.io/stream/deploy-distributed/#worker-access

To troubleshoot failed configuration deployments

If you find that a worker's config version is not up-to-date, you may wish to check the worker's logs for errors that could indicate why there is an issue. You can do this from your leader by visiting

Monitoring > Logs and then selecting <your worker> > API Process

Answers

• Tony Reinke - Cribl
    Tony Reinke - Cribl Posts: 134 admin
    Options

What version of Cribl?

• Cribler
    Options

Hello Tony,

Thanks for your help. The version I have is 4.2.1-70714f62

I just tried the filesystem destination and I get the same error.

• Cribler
    Options

This might have been a rookie mistake. Trying to figure out what I did to get this working. Please standby

• Cribler
    Options

I was running cribl master and worker nodes in docker container. I configured the destinations correctly but did not commit and deploy the changes to worker nodes. For anyone else who is new to Cribl, I would recommend using a single instance configuration.

• Jeremiah Ross
    Jeremiah Ross Posts: 8
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Cribler Great callout.

The Error: "400-Bad Request Output … does not exist!" means exactly that, the output isn't configured on the worker yet.

This usually occurs because

a) The config hasn't been deployed to workers

b) The worker hasn't updated yet

c) an error preventing a configuration push (e.g. a network or firewall issue)

If you are not sure if the worker has updated yet, I'd suggest using teleportation and checking a destination live from the worker's UI.

To teleport into a worker:

1. Ensure that the group has "UI Access" enabled from the Manage > Groups page

2. Navigate to the Manager > Workers page and then click on the worker's GUID

3. Navigate to the worker's desination page

More information on teleportation may be found here: https://docs.cribl.io/stream/deploy-distributed/#worker-access

To troubleshoot failed configuration deployments

If you find that a worker's config version is not up-to-date, you may wish to check the worker's logs for errors that could indicate why there is an issue. You can do this from your leader by visiting

Monitoring > Logs and then selecting <your worker> > API Process